kitchen reno:

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Pg09

Re: kitchen reno:

Post by Pg09 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:11 am

What Fletch said :)

Definitely pick something smaller - and try some different colors that fit the cabinets and/or the floor.
I can imagine mosaics or rectangular tiles too.

It's a question of personal taste but i would put some lights under the upper cabinets.
The way you have it now, a person standing at the counter would cast shadows at the work area - that's how kitchen accidents happen :)

Don't forget to post it - i'm curious now... :)
Cheers,

Adam

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:01 am

Definitely pick something smaller - and try some different colors that fit the cabinets and/or the floor.
I can imagine mosaics or rectangular tiles too.
you obviously won't be helping me install them! :lol:

if i could find something like this, but bigger:
might have to build one.

thanks for the comments guys i'll keep you posted.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

mosaic tiles come pre-mounted on 12x12 mesh... they are fairly simple to install. ;)
If you are buying plane tickets.... :totgm:

dspace
SketchUp: 7

Post by dspace » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Lots of nice suggestions, really and most are spot on.
Always cross-check the layout and installations.
IMHO, cooking the microwave is not good, probably shift them near the fridge.
Then, install a functional extractor hood with a backsplash of course. :)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 pm

dspace, not sure where you are from, but in the States, that microwave is built-in with the fume hood and works great - if you are not short, or in a wheelchair... keeps little kids away from the mwave as well... ;)

the color difference comparing the doors and the cabinetry is distracting from a design standpoint... have you considered zebra wood with that dark floor?

dspace
SketchUp: 7

Post by dspace » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Guess I was wrong about the microwave...sorry xrok! No offence.
And thanks Fletch, at least I learn something new. :)
Probably will check it out and in-cooperate those in my kitchen design .

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 pm

xrok1 wrote:
My only comment is that the frame over the window seems unrealistically 'simple'
are you talking about the wooden valence or the white vinyl?
but maybe that's how it really is?
no, its not built yet. how would you suggest i make it different?
The vinyl / glass.
At least where I'm at (in Colorado) you would rarely ever see a kitchen window you can't open, except maybe in older houses (or for maybe a bay window...). So it just seems a little odd to see a 'fixed' window here. But I'm not an architect so... ;)

Elibjr

Post by Elibjr » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Beautiful Render. What were your settings? How long did it take for THIS to render? Nice! :o :rspkt:

I agree with most of the comments here but I will say that if you go with a Zebra wood and a nice dark hand forged light with black tile you may want a natural wood trim. But if you do that, you may want to lighten up the counter tops with maybe a solid surface like a Corian or a Zodiaq (which is a nice quartz that rivals granite for a fraction of the cost). Boy we really are spending your money.. :lol: Anyway, if you are familiar with Sweets Product Catalogs, here is a link to the Dupont Corian page which has actual Sketchup sample components you can put right into your model. I use it all the time.
http://products.construction.com/Manufa ... 1/3d-model. and if you like that, here is a link to the Dupont site site showing the Zodiaq.. http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Commerc ... index.html.
And yeah, if you are looking at that as a ceiling mounted fixture.. you may want to pick a matching material for your directional task lights too.

Any thought about window treatments? :D

Again, This is a beautiful rendering

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:48 am

thank you all! just when i thought i was done, you all give me dozens of other things to think about! :?
Beautiful Render. What were your settings? How long did it take for THIS to render? Nice!
i let this one cook for 30+ hrs on my AMD 4600+ 64x2 but i was just trying to see how clear it would get under the table. 12 hrs is pretty good overall.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (150.36 KiB) Viewed 10634 times
The vinyl / glass.
At least where I'm at (in Colorado) you would rarely ever see a kitchen window you can't open, except maybe in older houses (or for maybe a bay window...). So it just seems a little odd to see a 'fixed' window here. But I'm not an architect so...
there is actually an awning window there (already installed, opens from the bottom) i just didn't add that much model detail. :oops:

xrok1

Post by xrok1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:40 am

here is a 6.5 hr. render for comparison:
Attachments
new lights-6.5hr.jpg
new lights-6.5hr.jpg (526.91 KiB) Viewed 10626 times