Learning WIP

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Learning WIP

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 pm

d12dozr wrote:...absolute hell for a beginner!
:lol: indeed! It is actually impossible as far as I know to build it in solids. I could have built it in about 2 days (at the time) in Microstation. Took months with ACAD. The cool part was they took our dwgs, and cut the formwork with lasers, somewhere in Minnesota?!, and shipped it to Milwaukee, put it together on site like a gigantic jigsaw puzzle... for a while I was like :totgm: and then -whew- it fit together like a hand in a glove... :D but I had to carve it out of Clay too for the jobsite guys 'cause they could 'see' the 3D model, but couldn't understand what they were looking at. :lol:
d12dozr wrote:...but it sure is lovely to look at :mrgreen:
:oops: thanks, many many many hard hours by as many people to put that project together.

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:41 am

Oh wow, I didn't know you worked on the project itself :rspkt: I got to tour the whole building when I was in school at MSOE - that was a major engineering feat: below water level on Lake Michigan, tiny disfigured HVAC ducts, etc, etc...so you worked with Santiago Calatrava himself?
-Marcus

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:37 am

yes, that was in 1998... he's probably forgotten my name by now... haven't seen him in a while...

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:18 pm

About the 4th iteration.

Used Fletch's great global background.
Re-colored the stucco per Ecuadorian's help.
Added cutout trees.
Textured the ground cover in the front yard.
Added fence and new flag from the Warehouse.

Now I need to fix the roof: it is not Spanish tile. I'm going to try to create the individual metal shapes instead and try to texture them with a bump map.
Also need to fix the flagpole texture and find some better low evergreen bushes (maybe create my own :totgm: )
Attachments
WIP 5 2009-11-15+.jpg
WIP 5 2009-11-15+.jpg (237.64 KiB) Viewed 11483 times
If you don't think ahead you'll be at the mercy of those that do - Ashleigh Brilliant
SU 7.1 and Win 7

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:31 pm

It's looking a lot better, Bob.

Have you tried these FaceMe plants?
http://www.forums.sketchucation.com/vie ... 40&t=21216

Solo's vegetation pack is also good, and it's 3D, meaning plants project the correct shadows:
http://solosplace.com/3Dgarden.aspx

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:12 pm

Ecuadorian wrote: Have you tried these FaceMe plants?
http://www.forums.sketchucation.com/vie ... 40&t=21216
Many thanks for steering me to this. I downloaded all of them and the "Plant Collection Total" (the group of .skp files) work great.
I'm having some problem with the other two (SCF_Plant Collection and SCF_deciduous). When I import the .png file it is not "face-me". See attached.
Attachments
Face Me 1.png
Face Me 1.png (145.79 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
Face Me 2.png
Face Me 2.png (59.84 KiB) Viewed 11461 times
If you don't think ahead you'll be at the mercy of those that do - Ashleigh Brilliant
SU 7.1 and Win 7

Ecuadorian

Post by Ecuadorian » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:38 am

Hi, make sure to only download these two files:
collections.png
collections.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 11444 times
Ignore everything else in that thread; they're duplicates. I guess you downloaded the raw PNG images; they have already been coverted to FaceMe components and they are ready for download in the two links in the image above.

To use the collections in SketchUp, unzip them to a folder, and then open that folder from your Components window using this option:
load.png
load.png (30.62 KiB) Viewed 11447 times

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Ecuadorian wrote: I guess you downloaded the raw PNG images
The download from RapidShare (from the locations you indicated) included .png and bump maps: I opened the .png file.
I'm at work now, but I'll put all the files (.png and bump maps) in a new local collection. When I add them as a component in SU does the bump map get include automatically, or do I have to add it as a material in TL?
SU 7.1 and Win 7

Ecuadorian

Post by Ecuadorian » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 pm

:?:
There were no bump maps in any of the downloads. There were alpha maps, and they are only needed if you use V-ray, because it does not automatically recognize the alpha channel in the transparent PNGs, as Twilight does.

The bottom line is that you only need what I showed in my previous post and you can safely erase all the rest, as they're duplicates. All you need to keep in the two downloads I linked to are the .skp files; you load them via the Component window. As you don't need the alpha maps (the black and white images in the same folder), you can safely erase them.

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 am

It's so easy/obvious when you know how (and now I do)!! Thanks once again, Ecuadorian. I have no idea how I messed things up so completely, but all is now well. :oops:
SU 7.1 and Win 7