SUN STUDY - DIFFERING RESULTS

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

SUN STUDY - DIFFERING RESULTS

Post by Gareth » Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 am

Here I have 3 different results for SketchUp (2014), the same thing rendered in Twilight, and then a rendered ArchiCad model.

The location, latitude, longitude, day and time were set exactly the same for SketchUp and ArchiCad

As you can see, there are 3 different results.

Which one can we trust ?

Some may think it is not significant, but when we apply a sun study to a building and the effect overshadowing may have on an adjacent site, the legal implications of getting it wrong could be very costly.
Attachments
SKETCHUP.JPG
SKETCHUP.JPG (160.9 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
TWILIGHT RENDER.JPG
TWILIGHT RENDER.JPG (167.08 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
ARCHICAD.JPG
ARCHICAD.JPG (67.69 KiB) Viewed 6861 times

Gareth

Re: SUN STUDY - DIFFERING RESULTS

Post by Gareth » Fri May 13, 2016 4:44 am

UPDATE :

I have solved the problem with ArchiCad, and I can now get the same results as SketchUp. It turns out that ArchiCad's render engine has its own Sun settings which will provide a different result from ArchiCad's own internal Sun settings.

So, I can assume that SketchUp and ArchiCad a both correct.

The difference in TW is puzzling though. We had a similar issue in an earlier version.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri May 13, 2016 4:51 am

In the Environmental Dialog, did you check "Corrected Shadows"? By default, the Twilight Render sun is much closer (and smaller) than a "real" sun. This produces better soft shadows but also introduces some parallax errors in shadow direction. Clicking "Corrected Shadows" pushes the sun out to a realistic position (and size) to produce better sun position but doesn't have as good soft shadows.

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Mon May 16, 2016 1:07 am

Thank you Chris.

No I hadn't thought to check the 'Correct Shadows'. However, when I did, it made little or no difference.

In the meantime, I'll just adjust my settings by 30 minutes to make sure the render is the same as SketchUp.

When I get some spare time I'll delve into this further.

I have a theory (that could be dangerous eh ??) but I need to test it on a few examples first. I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Gareth

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

Gareth wrote:... check the 'Correct Shadows'. However, when I did, it made little or no difference...
:? that's unexpected.

Care to share the file for us to test? Is it far from the 0,0,0 origin of the world coordinates for SketchUp?

Gareth

Post by Gareth » Tue May 17, 2016 6:58 am

Fletch wrote:
Gareth wrote:... check the 'Correct Shadows'. However, when I did, it made little or no difference...
:? that's unexpected.

Care to share the file for us to test? Is it far from the 0,0,0 origin of the world coordinates for SketchUp?

I haven't kept the file for the above test....it was pretty quick though and I'll do another one shortly.

As for the 0,0,0 coordinates, frankly I cant remember, but I don't believe it was too far from it.